The backyard is the perfect place to throw a birthday party. It’s intimate and casual, so you don’t need to be strict with the guest list or worry about an abundance of tables and chairs. You can host a small gathering in your backyard or extend it out into the yard with minimal effort.
The key is setting the right tone for your guests with outdoor string lights that create an ambience and complement other decorations you’ve put up. In this article, we’ll break down how to decorate your backyard for a birthday party with outdoor string lights.
Importance of ambience in backyard parties
Ambience is an important part of any party. It can be used to create the right mood so that your guests feel comfortable and at ease. You can use lighting to enhance the ambience by creating a party atmosphere, romantic atmosphere or relaxed atmosphere.
Your backyard is the perfect place for creating a relaxing environment where you can spend quality time with your friends and family members. If you want to create an outdoor space for entertaining guests, then there are certain things which should be considered before starting to decorate it with lights and other accessories such as furniture items like tables or chairs.
Introduction to outdoor string lights
Outdoor string lights are a great way to decorate your backyard for a birthday party. They’re also an easy and inexpensive way to add some ambience to your outdoor space, whether you live in the city or out in the country.
What are outdoor string lights?
Outdoor string lights come in many different styles, but they all share one thing: they use thin strands of bulbs that hang from an overhead wire or cable. They’re usually made from LED bulbs so you can put them close to people without worrying about burns or injury. You can even use them indoors if you want!
Lighting techniques and ideas
- Use string lights to create a canopy. String up the lights just above head height and attach them to your patio umbrella or tree branches. If you don’t have access to trees, use stakes in the ground instead of attaching them directly to the walls of your house or building.
- Create a starry sky with string lights around your yard or garden area by placing them on top of tall poles or fences, then hanging them at different levels so they look like constellations in space! This technique works great with white twinkle lights or multi-coloured LED strands because they’ll reflect off each other when they’re strung close together like this and it looks amazing!
- Use strings of coloured bulbs inside glass jars for festive lighting effects around your party area. Then hang these jars from trees/branches using hooks so guests can admire their beauty from afar as well as up close! You could also wrap these jars in tulle fabric strips before filling them with water so that when people walk under them during an outdoor gathering such as this one during summertime weather conditions such as these.
Installing the lights
- To install the lights, you will need to use a ladder or step stool to reach high places in your backyard. Make sure that the string of lights is secure and won’t fall on anyone if it gets bumped into or pulled on accidentally.
- Hooks and clips are great for attaching outdoor garden lights to trees, posts, railings, etc., but make sure they’re not too close together–you don’t want them getting tangled up with one another!
- Use a hook to hang the lights. Hang the string lights on an existing tree branch or fence post, using a hook that is rated for outdoor use.
- Be careful not to damage your trees by hanging too many strands from one branch. If you have multiple trees in your backyard, consider hanging different coloured strings from each one for a more festive look!
How to decorate your backyard with outdoor string lights?
- Choose the right string lights
The first thing you need to do is choose the right string lights. The best outdoor string lights are those that are waterproof, UV-resistant, durable and easy to install.
- Waterproof: They can be used outside in any weather condition without having any problems or issues with them. These types of lights will not get damaged by rain or snowfall so they can last longer than other types of lighting systems which can only be used during dry seasons but not during rainy seasons as well!
- UV Resistant: This means that these types of bulbs will not break down over time because they’re made out of materials that don’t degrade easily when exposed directly to sunlight for long periods. They also don’t get hot like regular incandescent bulbs do so there’s no risk involved when installing these kinds on your house’s exterior walls either!
- Durability & Easy Installation Processes: You’ll want something sturdy enough so it won’t fall apart easily after installing them either.
- Set up the string lights
Make sure the lights are working. Test them in a dark room to make sure they’re not burned out or missing any bulbs, then test them again in daylight and evening light to see if they’re bright enough. If you have a dimmer switch on your outdoor string lights, turn it up until it’s almost as bright as it can go and test them again.
- Hang them high in trees and on your roof
You can hang outdoor string lights high in trees and on your roof. Hang them from the branches of a tree, as we did with our “Happy Birthday” banner. If you want to go big, you can even hang them from the roof! If you don’t have any trees around, try hanging lights from a pergola or gazebo instead.
Use them as a canopy over tables and seating areas so people don’t get too hot when they’re partying outside. This is especially good for summertime parties because it keeps bugs away too!
- Light up a pergola or gazebo
Once you have your string lights up, it’s time to light up your backyard! Here are some ideas:
- Light up a pergola or gazebo with strings of fairy lights. A pergola is often used as a focal point for an outdoor space, but if you don’t have one, don’t worry–you can still create an amazing atmosphere by lighting up an existing structure with fairy lights. This will create a beautiful glow that will look amazing at night and make guests feel like they’re in a magical forest. If you want even more impact from this decoration idea, hang some lanterns from the beams underneath as well!
- Hang strings of white bulbs over patios and decks so that they shine down onto tables below them during evening parties or barbecues held during summer months when days are long but nights are short. These will provide extra illumination while also creating interesting shadows around them due to their shape; this effect adds drama while also making guests feel cosy inside as opposed to being exposed outside under direct sunlight.
- Use the string lights outside a tent or canopy
You can use the string lights outside a tent or canopy to create a festive atmosphere. You can also use them to create a romantic atmosphere or an elegant one.
If you want to go for fun, use the lights in your backyard for birthday parties! Or if you want to relax, then put them out on the patio in front of your house and sit down with friends and family members while enjoying some drinks or snacks from inside the home.
How to ensure maintenance and safety
- Clean them regularly. Keep your outdoor string lights clean and dry by wiping them down with a soft cloth.
- Don’t let them get wet. If rain or snow threatens to ruin your party, take down the lights before it gets bad enough that you need to use an umbrella for shelter!
- Don’t let them get tangled up in other things around the yard. If any loose wires are sticking out from where they were attached to their power source, be sure to secure them with duct tape before putting them away until the next time you want to use these decorations again!
- Take care not to allow leaves or other debris to build up around where these decorative lights were installed because this can cause short circuits which could potentially start fires if left unattended long enough; plus no one likes cleaning up after themselves anyway so try not doing so much work outside when possible!
In a nutshell
We hope that this article has helped you understand the importance of ambience in backyard parties. We also gave you some tips on how to decorate your backyard with outdoor string lights and make it look beautiful.
Ready to illuminate your backyard party? Explore more lighting ideas with our quality products on our website to create the perfect birthday ambience with us!